Hard water stains don’t only occur on glass. A building’s metal surfaces, including window frames and aluminum composite panels, also develop the same unattractive stains glass and stone do, typically for many of the same reasons. When detergents and other environmental grime collects on metal window frames, the result is a high concentration of contamination. Since many building owners and managers don’t include window frame cleaning in their regular maintenance schedule, there’s usually years of buildup that needs to be removed.
Presto Restoration’s high-quality commercial cleaning and restoration services restore the sheen and finish to the surfaces of all architectural metal components, including window frames. Together with regular glass maintenance, routine treatment of hard water stains on window frames keeps them free from corrosion, discoloration, and other damage. It also extends their lifespan, saving your business thousands of dollars in costly window frame replacement.
What Causes Metal Stains?
Most hard water stains on window frames and aluminum composite panels are caused by:
- The buildup of soap scum and oils from window cleaning detergents that attract dirt and dust.
- Overspray from painting and waterproofing.
- Using high mineral content tap water for window cleaning.
- High mineral content water from sprinkler systems striking the building.
- Leaching of deteriorating coatings and caulkings, adjacent rusting metal contaminates, and or ineffective UV-sensitive, water-repellant performance treatments.
All these items leave damaging hard water deposits on the frames. Left untreated, the mineral buildup can lead to permanent window and window frame damage. The longer you wait before taking restorative action, the more difficult many stains can become to remove.
Why Most Metal Restoration Products and Methods Don’t Work
There are three standard methods of treating metal staining that can, unfortunately, further damage your building’s window frames:
- Abrasive techniques that create scratches in the metal.
- Caustic products that leave burns on the metal and adjacent surfaces, creating a clouded look.
- Use of hydrofluoric acid-containing products, which can be harmful to both people and structures, damaging glass and precast surfaces.
For over a decade, Presto researched, developed, and created eco-friendly products and restoration methods to effectively remove stains and repair damage without leaving burns or scratches. The results are high-sheen and distortion-free metal window frames and other metal building components.
Restore, Protect, and Maintain Metal Surfaces
Anodized aluminum and architectural steel are commonly used commercial building materials. These metal surfaces need the same amount of attention and maintenance as glass surfaces.
Most window frames on commercial, high-rise buildings are constructed of anodized aluminum or stainless steel. It’s critical to choose the right combination of products and methods to properly maintain the exterior finishes of your building while also protecting the environment.
Presto’s line of Green Synergy cleaning and restoration products work together to restore, protect, and maintain a variety of metal surfaces without environmental harm. We’ve used them successfully on some of the country’s most prestigious buildings, restoring metal window frames and other metal surfaces to their original condition. In most cases, our metal restoration services save the frames’ anodized coating and eliminate the need to paint over them. This not only maintains the building’s original appearance but also saves you money in paint, labor, and maintenance costs.
How to Prevent Hard Water Stains on Window Frames
Three simple steps can prevent hard water stains on window frames and other metal building components.
- Eliminate wherever possible the source of the water causing the staining. Quick and easy tactics include redirecting or moving irrigation systems and sprinkler heads.
- Schedule regular window and window frame cleaning.
- Protect metal surfaces by applying special coatings such as Presto’s Metal Protector® that helps metal and anodized aluminum surfaces resist staining for up to ten years. It also shields metal surfaces from water and oxygen to prevent metal corrosion.
Presto’s highly skilled technicians use various advanced tools and techniques to handle even the toughest hard water stain removal jobs, including aerial work platforms, swing stages, rappelling, and cranes.
Does your high-rise building, multi-family complex, historic structure, shopping mall, educational facility, hospital, medical clinic, or any other commercial structure have hard water stains on its window frames or other metal surfaces? Presto’s restoration services return all types of metal surfaces to their original condition, so your building always leaves a good impression with tenants and visitors alike. Together with regular glass window maintenance, routine metal cleaning and restoration keeps your building’s facade free from staining, discoloration, corrosion, and other damage.
To learn more about removing hard water stains on window frames or any of our other commercial structure cleaning, sealing, or restoration services, contact the professionals at Presto Restoration today. Give us a call at 1-800-785-9927 or request a quote.